Search This Blog

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Welcome!

Dear AHS Envirothon Team,

Welcome to the Virginia Tree Blog! I created this blog because I remember having difficulty identifying trees when I was in Envirothon. Now that I'm almost done with a Dendrology (study of trees) Lab here at Virginia Tech, I feel pretty confident that I can help you all out with tree identification. However, I am by no means a Dendro expert. This is why, in addition to my blog posts, I'll include Useful Links (look to your right!) that can help you.

So, how exactly is this blog going to work?

Well, every week or so, I'll post up information about a new tree with pictures to go along with it. You should look at the post to help you learn the tree. I would also recommend going out into the wilderness and finding a real specimen to practice on. Practice makes perfect, or as a fortune cookie once told me, "Repetition is the mother of skill". And this tenet of Chinese wisdom definitely applies to tree identifying!

That's it for now! Please be sure to leave questions, comments, and suggestions for improvement by "commenting" on a post. I hope you all are as excited as I am!

Sincerely,
--Zoe

P.S. We will be identifying most of the trees that are in "Common Native Trees of Virginia", a publication by the Virginia Department of Forestry. You can download the pdf file here: Common Native Trees of Virginia

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Thanks so much! Now we won't miss every tree at regionals like we did last year :)

    How are you liking tech?

    Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thomas!

    You're welcome! Do you remember any of the trees that you missed at regionals? If you do, we can start with those ones!

    And I LOVE Tech!

    ReplyDelete